Follow by Email

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Adventures in Speed Dating

St. Patrick’s Day 2012, aka the day I entered into the foray of the Speed Dating world. I’ve been talking about it, thinking it, and wanting to do it for a while. So armed with my Broadminded recording equipment, I dragged/coerced/invited my friend Alie to join me on this little adventure because misery loves company and two broads are better than one! And, remarkably, it wasn’t quite as ridiculous as I thought it could be. How’s that for a ringing endorsement?

Fortunately, there were more men than women. Those are the kinds of odds I can work with! The women were seated in the same spot for the evening while the men were on a bench and would move down the row. Just like a conveyor belt, which was fitting since Alie and I felt like Lucy and Ethel, but instead of delicious gourmet chocolates speeding past us, we had Milk Duds. We had 90 seconds for each conversation. In some cases 90 seconds felt like 3 and in other/most cases, 90 seconds felt like an eternity.

First up, I had “Mr. 189” from Chicago who couldn’t wait to tell me he was a lawyer. While that may impress the women in Chicago, here in DC where there are more lawyers than Starbucks, I was not impressed. And it started to go down hill so fast from there I thought I’d get motion sickness. After the lawyer, I got a dating coach who said he was there for “research”, Alie said she met Chaz Bono, “Mr. 107” who was so infatuated with the girl next to me he didn’t want anything to do with me, and then there was the guy who couldn’t pronounce my name! Please don't ever call me Christi!!

But then, just when I thought the night would only provide enough fodder for Monday’s show, in walks (or rather slides down the bench), “Mr. 1420”. Cute….check. Tall….check. Personable….check. Cute….check (did I say that already?). And he has a 16-year-old son who is, as he put it, “the light of my life.” Ok “Mr. 1420” you don’t know this (yet), but you are my knight in shining armor tonight! I don’t know if he’s “the one”, but he’s definitely a great possibility. We spoke for a while after the whole speed dating part was over so we’ll see where it goes from here. Who knows, maybe 50 years from now, when we’re on our porch swing on our farm we can tell our grandchildren how we met. Too much?? Oh well, a girl can dream.

All in all, it was an entertaining evening. On a scale of 1-10, I’d put it around a 7, maybe 7.5. Would I do this again? Sure! Now that I have the hang of it and realize how not-ridiculous it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment